Exporting from Maya for panda

Exporting from Maya for panda

Postby Nathan_Palo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 am

I've installed the 64 bit version of Panda, and I've downloaded the scripts for Maya. Where do I put the scripts, how do I export things, and how do I view it in Panda?
Nathan_Palo

Re: Exporting from Maya for panda

Postby BenChang » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Installing the Maya->Panda MEL Scripts

The MEL Scripts go in your Maya Scripts directory. In Windows and in OSX, your maya directory is in your Documents directory. In Linux, it's just in your home directory.

If you don't see a "maya" directory, launch Maya once, then quit it, and should make one for you.

Copy MayaPandaUI.mel and userSetup.mel into the scripts directory.

Windows:

<your home directory>\Documents\maya\scripts\

OSX:

<your home directory>/Documents/maya/scripts

Linux:

<your home directory>/maya/scripts

If you don't see a scripts folder inside your maya folder, just make one.

Using the Exporter

1. when you launch Maya, you should now see a Panda3D menu added to the Maya menus.
2. to test it out, make a cube and see if it will export.
3. Create->Polygon Primitives->Cube
4. Save the file as cube.mb. By default it will save it in maya/projects/default/scenes. That's fine for now.
5. Panda3D->Panda Export
6. Leave all the options at their defaults and click "Export" at the bottom.
7. It should save a file called "cube.egg" in the same directory that "cube.mb" was saved in.
8. To check it, go to Panda3D->View file in PView
5. Select "cube.egg"
6. In PView, hit 'l' to turn on lights, use LMB, RMB, and MMB to rotate around it
BenChang

Postby codennis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 am

I have moved the MEL scripts into the Maya scripts folder but when I try to export to a .egg file, I get the following error:

Using these arguments: maya2egg2013 -p -keep-uvs -round-uvs -tbnall -a none [END]
Your scene will be saved as this egg file: Truck.egg
In this directory: C:/Users/cod/Desktop/
!!Overwrite enabled!!
'maya2egg2013' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thanks in advance.
codennis

Postby BenChang » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am

Looks like the Maya script isn't finding the command line tool it needs. maya2egg2013 is the program that does the actual conversion work - the Maya script is just a handy front-end so you can run it without leaving Maya.

First, just to make sure, which Panda installer did you use - the 1.8 or 1.9 (development) 64-bit builds from the forum here, or the official 1.8 installer from Panda3d.org? The installer on Panda3D.org doesn't have maya2egg2013 in it.

Next, try running maya2egg2013 from the command line:

1. From the start menu, in the Search box, type "Command Prompt", or just "cmd". Run "Command Prompt" from the search results.

2. try this:

Code: Select all
maya2egg2013

3. If you get a message with usage instructions, that's good. If you get an error that it is not recognized, it means it's not installed correctly.

4. Look in C:\Panda3D-1.8.0\bin (I think that's the right directory) and see if maya2egg2013 is in there. There should be a ton of programs, including pview - it's the directory where Panda keeps all its executables.

5. If (3) worked, try this:

cd Desktop
maya2egg2013 Truck.mb -o Truck.egg

6. If (3) didn't work, but you did find maya2egg in (4), try this:

cd C:\Panda3D-1.8.0\bin   (or whatever the actual path is for your panda install)
maya2egg2013 C:\Users\dennis\Desktop\Truck.mb -o C:\Users\dennis\Desktop\Truck.egg
BenChang

Postby codennis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks, using maya2egg2013 in panda../bin worked.
codennis

Postby BenChang » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:42 am

Great. In that case you can also update your Path Environment Variable (google how to do that on Windows, I only know how to do it in *nix off the top of my head) so you'll have that location in your search path.
BenChang

Return to Game Development